The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 56 000 students and 6 600 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong research and attractive study programmes attract scientists and students from around the world. With new knowledge and new perspectives, the University contributes to a better future.
Environment for Development (EfD) is a unit in Gothenburg with 22 employees. EfD is a global network of research centers in environmental economics primarily based in the global south. The network is coordinated by the unit (also called ”Global Hub”). The overall goal for EfD is to support poverty alleviation and sustainable development by building environmental economic capacity and linking this to policy processes. The EfD Initiative has centers hosted by academic institutions in Central America, Chile, China, Colombia, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Nigeria, Sweden, Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, the US, and Vietnam. More information about EfD can be found on the EfD website:www.environmentfordevelopment.org
As a researcher in environmental economics, you will perform a dual role as a researcher and as support for the coordination of EfD's research fund. You will conduct high-quality research in environmental economics, climate economics and development economics, with a special focus on issues related to poverty and sustainability in low- and middle-income countries. You will support the management of EfD's research fund, EfD's research processes and coordinate research applications involving EfD researchers in the network. The position involves close collaboration with EfD centers in the Global South.
Duties also include:
- To support the process around the EfD research fund – specific organizational tasks include organizing calls, evaluating and organizing reviews of submitted proposals, preparing documentation for decisions by the EfD Research Committee, ensuring that the research projects are included in the work plans of the EfD centers, as well as follow-up of deliveries of ongoing research projects.
- Develop and coordinate external research applications in collaboration with EfD's various research groups.
- Support communication around EfD's research on the website, in annual reports, as part of other reports during the year and in the work of developing and managing communication material.
- Assist the organization of virtual and physical meetings.
- Additional administrative tasks may be added.
- A PhD in economics with a focus on environmental and development economics.
- A strong profile as an active researcher, specialized in the application of environmental economics in low- and middle-income countries.
- Publication in relevant international scientific journals.
- Documented experience of and commitment to capacity development, policy engagement and impact within environmental and development economics in low- and middle-income countries.
- Well-developed organizational skills (administration and management) in order to support EfD's research processes and coordinate research applications.
- Experience in administration and project management.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and partner organizations.
- Excellent knowledge of English as a working language, both written and spoken.
- Experience and skills to work closely with colleagues and partner organizations in the Global South.
- Analytical skills in and knowledge of current research in environmental and development economics.
- Field experience from low-income countries.
- Success in applying for research funding.
- Demonstrable experience in the development and implementation of thematic research programs, preferably in collaboration with international organizations, financiers and other stakeholders.
- Experience of and good ability to collaborate in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- Knowledge of languages other than English that are relevant to EfD (i.e. the languages used in EfD countries).
We are looking for a person who enjoys carrying out work independently and who takes responsibility for the completion of tasks with high quality. As the work is often varied and changeable, you need to be able to prioritize and quickly adapt to new conditions. The responsibilities as part of this role puts high demands on cooperation, commitment and responsibility, as well as accuracy, order and structure. Personal suitability for the position is important.
The position is a permanent position with an extent of 100 % (full-time). The position is located at Environment for Development (EfD), School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg. Starting date is as soon as possible. Trial employment may be applied for this position.
Link for more information about the application:
For further information regarding the position